When I left home for college nearly eight years ago, I imagined that my life was opening. I was moving away from the familiar—away from what, at that time, felt inhibiting, and entering into a new and seemingly bigger space. Ironically, I was really moving to a smaller town, yet for me Mt. Pleasant symbolized an opportunity to realize my own grand ideas.
Having been here so long, this all seems rather silly. I now see this place as something very different. A space that embodies, for me, a sense of limitation. I reconcile this with the clear knowledge of what I have gained here internally—A focused and profound sense of self. Revelations I could have only gained through the exploration of grand ideas and the construction (or better: reconstruction) of my own.
When I think of cities, I think of exceedingly large, brick and mortar, built spaces. Skyscrapers. Public transportation. Masses of people. Rarely do I consider the small, enclosed "city" I've been longing to leave behind. In The Practice of Everyday Life, Michel de Certeau examines the symbolic mediums that comprise a culture—behaviors and rituals reappropriated that construct the everyday. In "Walking in the City" he describes how walking though a city is the "spatial acting-out of the place." Movement, in other words, constructs its presence and meaning. "Places are fragmentary and inward-turning histories, pasts that others aren't allowed to read, accumulated times that can be unfolded, but like stories held in reserve, remaining in an enigmatic state, symbolizations encysted in the pain or pleasure of the body." This, he says, is spatial practice. One's relationship to a place exists fundamentally in the ghostly memories of (now) absent symbols.
I've walked through this place many times, rarely thinking of what it is and often resenting what it isn't. But it has given and I have received. Its lackluster presence has provided presence of mind, and thus my own internal self-creation. And now it's time to release, to walk through new, more difficult spaces. To continue evolving, creating, and honing myself from the inside out. I'm grateful for it.
I've walked through this place many times, rarely thinking of what it is and often resenting what it isn't. But it has given and I have received. Its lackluster presence has provided presence of mind, and thus my own internal self-creation. And now it's time to release, to walk through new, more difficult spaces. To continue evolving, creating, and honing myself from the inside out. I'm grateful for it.
I know just what you mean. I will miss your garage-house (though not the driveway). I am mostly just beyond excited, proud, nervous, thrilled, and already horribly lonely for you. I am anticipating your next steps right alongside you, my dearest friend. You are so brave and special and lovely beyond words.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I have a hat for you. Extra big and floppy, just like my love for you.
And breakfast.
Visit so we can eat pancakes and bacon before you head to AZ.
I love you! I don't know if we'll be able to see each other before I leave—there's just so much going on. I will see you when I return:) No worries about the sun hat. I know where I can get one.
DeleteHugs always.
This is really nice, Sandra.
ReplyDeleteThe city of Mt. Pleasant and that garage house are really special in my memory, but you helped to make them what they were...and you will take that with you wherever you go. I am also incredibly excited to see where life continues to take you. I have no doubt that it's going to be spectacular. I wish that I could be in AZ when you come, but since that is not the case then you will just have to plan another trip and I will take you to all of the places that you didn't see the first time. I will show you my Arizona.
I love you dearly. Please say goodbye to Mt. Pleasant for me as well. I fear that I am losing all of my reasons to return to that place...
Clarey, you are so special to me. It's the people who made this place what it was and is.
DeleteMaybe in the future we can come back for a visit. Stay at the Motel 8. Shop at Target. Drink smoothies. See the old stomping grounds.
And you know I will be planning a trip to your AZ whence I return....
Love you forever.